By Bezalel Porten
Xxi + 421 pp. with 15 figs. & 14 plates, eightvo.
Read Online or Download Archives from Elephantine: Life of an Ancient Jewish Military Colony PDF
Best jewish books
This publication is a necessary source for college students of jap ecu background. Adam Broner's first individual narrative skillfully connects the author's own tale with the bigger occasions surrounding his lifestyles. The extensive scope and very long time interval supply a impartial point of view and a better figuring out of the occasions.
After illustration? explores one of many significant matters in Holocaust studies--the intersection of reminiscence and ethics in inventive expression, relatively inside of literature. As specialists within the learn of literature and tradition, the students during this assortment research the transferring cultural contexts for Holocaust illustration and demonstrate how writers--whether they write as witnesses to the Holocaust or at an inventive distance from the Nazi genocide--articulate the shadowy borderline among truth and fiction, among occasion and expression, and among the situation of existence persevered in atrocity and the desire of a significant life.
This publication, in its 113th 12 months, presents perception into significant developments within the North American Jewish neighborhood, studying Jewish schooling, big apple Jewry, nationwide and Jewish communal affairs, and the U.S. and international Jewish inhabitants. It additionally acts as an immense source with its lists of Jewish associations, Jewish periodicals, and educational assets in addition to Jewish honorees, obituaries, and significant fresh occasions.
The publication in its first Israeli variation is a suite of Jewish paintings from antiquity until eventually modernity, with illustrated essays.
- A Road to Nowhere?: Jewish Experiences in Unifying Europe
- The Jews of France: A History from Antiquity to the Present.
- Shabbatai Donnolo's Sefer Ḥakhmoni (Studies in Jewish History and Culture)
- Association for Jewish studies 2002-26(1)
Extra info for Archives from Elephantine: Life of an Ancient Jewish Military Colony
1 7 : 1 6 ) . This injunction implies a trade of mercenaries for horses by Ma nasseh,49 who continued the policy of his father. Much to the chagrin of the 46 Cf. E. G. Kraeling, The Brooklyn Museum Aramaic Papyri (New Haven, 1 9 5 3 ) , 42f, n. 1 3 . An Assyrian statue of Bel-Sar-u�ur, whose name is written in Aramaic ( blsT>$r) , derives from the period of Assyrian rule in Egypt. R. A. Bowman, "Arameans, Aramaic, and the Bible," lNES 7 ( 1948) , 76, assigned the origin of this statue to Elephantine, but M.
322. 14 J EWS AND ARAMEANS IN E GYPT did send a force from Egypt whose effect was to draw off, temporarily, the Babylonian force besieging Jerusalem Oer. 37: 5ff) . Were the Jews who lived in the Egyptian border forts of Tahpanhes ( Daphnae) and Migdol (Jer. 44: 1 ) among Pharaoh's mercenaries? Had they taken part in this unsuccessful expeditionary force? , the government house;3 in Tahpanhes, thus implying a close connection between the Jews and these official quarters (Jer. 43 :8ff) . Dur ing the reign of Zedekiah, th e Egyptian Jewish community was already of such size that Jeremiah referred to it in the same breath with the remnant community of Jerusalem and the rest of Judah (Jer.
During the Hellenistic period positions of military command often passed from father to son and a son would fre quently be associated with his father in such positions even during the latter's lifetime; cf.
- Download Dating Neurological Injury:: A Forensic Guide for by Jeff L. Creasy PDF
- Download Archaeology Is a Brand!: The Meaning of Archaeology in by Cornelius Holtorf PDF